Saturday, November 5, 2016

Lauren D., Week 10

The Gift of Being Vulnerable

This week, I want to steer from my usual reflection on the readings and weekly workshops, and rather discuss the vulnerability of this project and its impact upon my heart and soul.  I found through this journey that there is no greater gift, than the ability to truly sit back and take in the inspiration, knowledge and power this younger generations has upon social justice and change.  As a graduate student aspiring to always be filling my “toolbox” for future clinical practice, I entered upon this independent study, without expectations and open to possibilities. 


I remember in my first semester at UNE, reading an article that highlighted the importance of social workers gaining cultural competency, not through training and certificates, but rather through the grassroots level of listening to minorities and their challenges, values and moral.  For there is no greater learning than that of first-hand.  This article has always been held on a pedestal for me, as I saw the importance of letting go of my so called educational “expertise,” and the necessity to listening to the knowledge of others; for they have experienced and endured first-hand the injustices of society, that I never have.

Bridging the Gap of Social Inclusion, has given me this opportunity each week.  As I listen to the stories of the youth and young adult participants and their stories, their lives, their obstacles and their strengths, I have learned more than any textbook possibly could have offered.  I have felt their pain of discrimination, I have witnessed their conversations surrounding unfairness in the school systems and communities, and I have experienced their hope and courage to take on reform and change. 


Each week I continue to be amazed by this younger generation truly searching for a way to make the wrongs right; to create equality; and to believe that a future exist where we are all treated as one, without giving up where they came from, and who they truly are!

No comments:

Post a Comment